Ephesus was controlled by the Romans in 190 BC. The city was given to the Bergamian kings
for a time. With the death of King Attalos 3 in 133BC, the city was re-ruled by the
Romans. Ephesus reached to its height and was notorious for its wealth and luxury between
1-4 AD., especially during the reign of Augustus. During the period, the population of
Ephesus increased to 225 000, and the city became the capital of the new Asia. By cleaning
the river Caystros from the alluviums, the great trade port of Ephesus, a gateway to
foreign countries, enriched the prosperity of the city and continued to thrive with
commerce and culture. The city was constructed, adding new models to the former
magnificence of Ephesus. "Celcius Library" clearly exemplifies the perfecta of
the era, with the delicate details of the construction.
Ephesus has played significant roles during the date, in the early
Christianity, as well. The prestige of Ephesus increased with the arrival of Saint Paul,
for spreading the Christianity to the Ephesians worshipping to Artemision. St. Paul and
the disciplines of Christianity were strictly refused by Ephesians, elderly. With the long
tiring struggles of St. Paul, Christianity was accepted by the most of the population
around Ephesus. St. Paul had also sent one of his most famous letters to the church in
Ephesus. Additionally, St Jean and Virgin Mary visited
and Virgin Mary settled down the Mount Bulbul, located close
to Ephesus, around the years of 431 AD.
Ephesus became a state of Seljukian in the
year of 1090, for a time was held by Byzantine. In 1307 Seljukians controlled the city
again. However, years later, the River Caystros was silted up, leaving the site far
inland. Therefore, the city of Ephesus has lost its significance, due to the development
of the ports of Izmir and Kusadasi in sea-trade.
How to Go?
Ephesus is located 18 km away from Kusadasi and it may be reached
easily by Kusadasi- Selcuk minibuses. But it is advisable to visit this eye-catching site
with the professional guides provided by the agencies of